Search This Blog

January 15, 2010

The Present Perfect

A brief note on the expressions we found yesterday (Jan 13th) on the exercises. They're used in British English!!
They've made it! (=They've succeeded)
I've had enough (I'm fed up. I don't want to do it any more)
You've had it! (You're in trouble)
That's torn it! (You, we, they... have done something that someone else will strongly complain about)
Now you've done it! (You've done something seriously wrong)
She's arrived (She's achieved fame success, acceptance, etc, at last)
He's lost it (He's lost his patience or self-control)
You've got me there! (Good point: I've no idea what the solution is)

KEY
EXERCISE 3
1. Helen is bound to have forgotten that tomorrow is my birthday.
2. Having got/ become hopelessly lost more than once.
3. by the time we get round to having / booking a holiday.
4. is / was felt to have been less than satisfactory
5. ought to have phoned by now, surely?
6. will have forgotten all about it by the time you see them again.
EXERCISE 4
1. (that) they had
2. checked /made sure that the electricity had
3. realized / remembered (that) we had
4. will /shall/ 'll have finished
5. to have
6. will have left / will be heading
7. to have
8 had no alternative / option/ choice
EXERCISE 5
I had recently > I have recently
I went > I have/ I've been
I have once spent > I once spent
I had loved > I loved
I returned > I have returned
to had been > to have been
have been delayed > were delayed
we have expected > we expected / we had expected

No comments: